Next Steps for Artists

The objective for this project was to create an identity for Next Steps; a group of artists that come together to have open dialogue about issues in the community. The identity needs to continue into an archival record of one meeting. This project was completed with five other design students. 

Logo.jpg

starting with the logo

Throughout this whole group project, the one thing that's clear to separate the credit of who did what was the logo. I designed the logo for the group based around the idea that Next Steps is a group of diverse artists from all background getting together to have open dialogue about issues in the community. The different typefaces represent the diverse artists and I brought the idea of open dialogue in with the quotation marks for the e's. 

Background Process.png

First event

After the logo, the next big design was the seating arrangement of Next Steps' first meeting. The group wanted the layout to feel open and inclusive to promote participants in the conversation. However there were still three guest speakers to highlight but to keep them not the main focus of the event. So hierarchy but no hierarchy, finding that perfect functional solution. 

Audio recording.png

One of the deliverables for the project was a transcript of their first meeting. None of us had ever worked with audio before, but we managed to develop a simple process using minimal microphones to capture the dialogue of the meeting for future use in the project.  

archive

The two print deliverables for Next Steps was a program for their meeting (first image left) and a transcript book (first image right). When working with a group of artists, the last thing that comes to mind is the ordinary. Instead of a table of contents, we decided to include an index. As an archival document for the group itself, one is likely to refer to the book to look up something or refer to a specific part. We thought an Index worked best functionally. To keep the fun vibe expressed in the logo, we kept the diverse type treatment throughout the book. We divided the book up into three sections; art, community, and community & art.  These three topics were the main dividers during the conversation. The book was laid out in a style where on the left side of a spread the regular transcript was shown. On the right page, every spread had a different typographic expression that depicted the page on the left. This layout was designed to help the reader skim the document.  The goal was to summarize one side with the other. Throughout the book several take aways were thrown in like the business card on this spread.